FROM WHERE THE NAME VICOLO DELLE KIAVI COMES
It was January 6, 1313, when, within the walls of Poggibonsi, blasts of trumpet and roll of drums welcomed the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire outside the southern gate, called Santa Maria Assunta.
Together with the local dignitaries, faithful heirs of the Ghibellines of Poggiobonizio, representatives of the cities of San Gimignano, Colle, Certaldo and Siena, all of them of Guelph faith and linked to the powerful Florence, were not present at the solemn handing over of the keys of the city. Accepting the gift of the keys Arrigo assured protection to the friendly city, going to camp on the hill overlooking the Elsa valley and immediately starting work on the restoration of the ancient city fortified and razed by the Florentines almost thirty years before.
Unfortunately the events following the death of Henry VII, which took place in the same year near Buonconvento, saw the reconstruction work destroyed by the Florentines, and the succession over the centuries of a series of events that between destruction and reconstruction gave us the Poggibonsi current that, at first sight, could deceive giving the impression of being a "modern" city. In reality the strategic position in which the old village was located, at the center of a crucial junction of the Via Francigena, saw pilgrims, merchants, kings and emperors passing from Northern Europe to Rome and vice versa.